Monday, August 23, 2010

All A Man Needs: Food, Sex and Laundry?


While waiting for a car wash today, Peanut and I stumbled upon a book entitled, "Will Marry for Food, Sex and Laundry." This book apparently teaches women how to land a husband: forget getting educated, developing interests and being a good life partner. If you can cook, clean and make yourself available for sex, ding, ding, ding, you've prepared yourself to snag Mr. Right.

At first I thought, why would a woman write a book like this? Although several other recent books by women have instructed women to play certain games (i.e. the Rules for one) they stopped short of instructing women to revert back to the 1950's entirely. And then I flipped over the book and got my answer: It was written by a man.

Although my instinct is that this book sets forth a bullshit philosophy that only pertains to a certain type of man (that we No Man Land readers and writers aren't interested in anyway), I can't help but entertain the following questions:

Has our quest for self-development and equality actually hindered our ability to find life partners? If that's the case, which is more important: a husband or an identity?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a strong identity. Do you see a line of men outside my door. No you don't. It takes special people to want to be with a woman who has a strong identity. What's more important for me? I can't choose! This is the way I am... so I have to deal with it. It's not like I can change who I am. I have interests and intellect and am a doer. If a man doesn't want to be with me because I can do more than he can.... then he's not a good fit for me. Let him go be with a waif of a girl -- it's survival of the fittest... my genes (when I marry the right guy) will bring about good people who will contribute something to the world and so will yours Jelly!

Levitra Soft said...

You have a very good blog that the main thing a lot of interesting and useful!