Wednesday, March 12, 2008

All about the ring?


So today was my law school graduation fair. Basically, you go booth to booth, and make sure you have your cap and gown, your graduation announcements, your over-priced diploma, and so forth. There was also a booth for picking out your law school ring. Looking at the rings on the table, I kind of laughed and looked at the woman at the booth and said, "well, I think I learned my lesson with the over-priced high school graduation ring I bought but never wore." She looked at me incredulously and said, "Anyone can graduate high school, this ring is a sign of your achievement."

I had to stop myself but I almost replied, "The only sign of achievement I want on my finger is a large engagement ring."

And there it is. Despite all my education and achievements, when it comes down to it, why does an engagement ring mean so much? Like the lady at the booth said about a high school ring, just about anyone can get married and get an engagement ring. A big diamond only has value because I (we, society?) give it value.


If your finger is the place to showcase your biggest achievement, which achievement merits the honor?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I vote for the ringless middle finger.

Achievement? Having some balls.

Anonymous said...

in no way is an engagement ring, (being married) an achivement. It's not something you "work" for. Rather it should be a wonderful thing that happens to you when you fall in love. At the end of the day, almost everyone gets married, (for many people it's an easy out).....not everyone graduates from high school. put THAT into perspective.

Unknown said...

Hey - congratulations on graduation. I found your blog when that divorce cake from November came up in a search.