Thursday, May 8, 2008

What Do You Want to be When You Grow Up?



There are those who pick a concrete career (lawyer, doctor, psychologist, archaeologist, etc) and go to school for it, then start applying what they learned in school to help others in the world. But then there are the rest of us -- we kind of like this, we kind of like that and we studied something sort of broad in college (English, History, Philosophy, Music, Business... etc.).


Well I am in the second half. I know what I don't like for sure! I know what I am kind of interested in, but what am I supposed to do? Create my own job out of thin air? Also, it's one of those situations where you don't really know until you do it. I.e. I wanted to be a business owner after I quit my corporate job a few years ago... now that I am, I realized I don't really like to manage a big group of people -- I am not really good at it (amongst other things that I have learned about myself). I guess you can look at it as a good learning experience. But what if I spend the rest of my life in string of "good learning experiences" and never establish a stable income and skill for myself?


I am turning 26 years old this year and I feel like I have to start all over again in my quest for: "What do I want to be when I grow up." Does this ever end for people like us? How do we go about finding what we are good at so we could utilize our best abilities to make a great living for ourselves and to contribute to society in a way that is somewhat fulfilling for us?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Entre,

You already mentioned what you're not good at. Well, what ARE you good at? Ask yourself this and that's a good place to start.

Anonymous said...

It's funny you post this. I am going through a similar phase in my life. After talking to my boss who has been working in his job for 20 years practically, he told me you will always be asking yourself these questions. I am sure you will find one career that eventually will stick. It all seems to be a lifelong process, you just have to enjoy the journey! Now if only I can take my own advice and relax :)