Wednesday, September 22, 2010

True Love... ?


"'What' and ‘if’ two words as non threatening as words come. But put them together side-by-side and they have the power to haunt you for the rest of your life: ‘What if?'..."
"I don't know how your story ended.But I know that if what you felt then was love - true love - then it's never too late. If it was true then it why wouldn't it be true now? You need only the courage to follow your heart..."
"I don't know what a love like Juliet's feels like... a love to leave loved ones for, a love to cross oceans for... but I'd like to believe if I ever felt it. I'd have the courage to seize it. I hope you had the courage to seize it, Claire. And if you didn't, I hope one day that you will."

Letters to Juliet... a love story flick with Amanda Seyfried, who plays Sophie. Sophie goes to Verona with her fiance for a "pre-honeymoon" before their wedding. Sweet, right? Well, they spend days apart from each other, and the romantic writer that she is, she stumbles upon a letter in front of Juliet's house that never got answered- a wall where people would stick their letters for answers to love. First of all - where the hell is that wall in Los Angeles and why don't we have one here!? Second - if it were only that easy, write a letter and get an answer. Oy! I wish!

Anyway, Sophie writes a letter back to Claire who's letter was unanswered for 50 years! Yes, 50! I, know totally unrealistic. But long story short... Sophie, unhappy in her relationship, falls in love with Claire's grandson who she meets when she is on her miserable "pre-honeymoon" trip and following Claire around Italy to find her long lost love from 50 years ago. As I sat there in tears over the love stories (both Sophie's and Claire's), yes tears, I wondered... does this happen!? I mean, really.

Does love like this happen - where you fall in love with someone when you are 20 and then go back to them when you are 70 and still feel the same?

Do you get a chance to meet a charming man when you are in an unhappy relationship? I thought you have to be open and positive and single and trying. Somehow the "rules" of dating and love stories never match up!

And what about those 'what if' men. What if it would have worked out, what if you tried harder? What if you told him how you really felt? What if.... even if one has the courage to pursue what they think is love, is it really love?

What is true love?

And why haven't I met someone who makes me feel like I know what it is!?

No comments: