Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Woo Hoo................


In a recent article titled, "Lover's Leap" (http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Martha-Beck-Lovers-Leap), Beck suggests that we leap into love and say woo hoo, despite the fact that we are terrified of intimacy. She writes:
Good Idea #2: Go "Woo-hoo"

Author Melody Beattie took up skydiving and was scared senseless. Another diver told her, "When you get to the door and jump, say 'Woo-hoo!' You can't have a bad time if you do."

This phrase works as well when you're falling emotionally as when you're falling physically. When fear hits, when you want to grasp or hide, shout "Woo-hoo!" instead. While there is never—not ever—a sure foundation beneath our feet, the willingness to celebrate what we really feel can turn falling into flying. You don't need an airplane to practice woo-hoo skills. For instance: I'm writing these words at 2:15 in the morning because writing, like other intimate pursuits, often occurs at night. As I type each word, I come to care about how it will be read—about you, there, reading it. Caring is scaring. It makes me want to stop right now, or spend years composing something flawlessly literate. Unfortunately, my deadline was yesterday, and Shakespeare I ain't, so...woo-hoo!

When I started this blog with Jelly over two years ago, we were both single and were exploring ways in which we can be more open, find good men, etc. Jelly got married and I am still single. Tomorrow I turn 28 years old.

A few years ago I thought I would be terrified of being close to 30. Surprisingly, however, I could careless about the age. I feel better than ever! After all the years I goofed around, struggled, worked my ass off, dated my ass off, and kept trying to push and push to make things happen for myself I can finally say woo hoo. I am so happy to be independent, to have a savings account, to be living close to my best friends, to have a family who loves me, to have dated many different personalities and sit here today certain of what kind of man I want, to be healthy, in shape, happy and employed by myself. I created all this for myself and I am thankful.

Woo hoo.

This week I will celebrate all of this. I have come a long way between 20 and 28. May this year bring me the one piece of the pie I am finally ready for: intimacy. Yes, I am definitely one of those people who says I am not terrified, but I am and have been. I have distracted myself with bullshit over the past few years and learned. But I finally feel ready to love and be loved by a great man. And when he comes, I will say woo hoo and make the leap.

Woo hoo for birthdays.
Woo hoo for looking back and feeling good about what you've accomplished.
Woo hoo for great friends, the best any girl can ask for - I love you Jelly;)
Woo hoo for exploration.
Woo hoo for cake, presents and birthday fun
Woo hoo for love
Woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

yogid said...

WOO HOO! All your posts are a testiment to how far you have come, Happy Birthday!

Becki said...

Woo Hoo to finding a great man. They are rare. Still haven't found him!