Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Techno-Mistress


These days, technology is a ubiquitous aspect of daily life. Between computers, cell-phones, and ipods, I myself am connected (usually more ways than one) 24/7. And I've been feeling it lately. When my bag was stolen Friday, my first thought was: oh no, my blackberry! And on Saturday morning, even though I had two perfectly good phones at home I could have gotten activated (both pda's mind you) I hurried over to the AT&T store and bought a new blackberry anyway. Why is that? Because I crave connection - and nothing keeps you more connected than a Blackberry... or does it?

It turns out, that being connected electronically actually leads to being disconnected physically.
I've been having an affair with technology, and I'm not the only one.

Apparently, once technology comes in, sex goes out the window.

I highly recommend reading the article I've linked to below...

Let's just say that it might inspire some of us to unplug.

An excerpt from the article is printed below... I highly recommend using the link and reading it in its entirety...

"When the Only Connections in Bed Are Wireless"



"Plasma TVs more desirable than sexAnother survey was released recently by a UK electronics retailer that showed nearly half of British men would happily give up sex for six months in exchange for a free 50-inch plasma TV. Only about one-quarter of all respondents — men and women — said they would be willing to give up chocolate.

Let me repeat: About 25 percent said they would give up chocolate, meaning, presumably, that 75 percent would rather not miss out on a beloved Cadbury for six months than be given a 50-inch TV. But half of men said they’d willingly give up sex to get the TV.

It turns out, say some therapists, that TV watching itself dampens our sex lives. A couple of years ago, an Italian sexologist named Serenella Salomoni issued a report, based on the habits of 523 couples, stating that having a TV in the bedroom cut the rate of intercourse in half."

1 comment:

SexyJelly said...

Here is an interesting (and relevant tidbit) from a religious leader on the topic of electronic distraction:

"For our day, there comes a time as well to put away the iPod, the blackberry, the television and the computer. Every innovationa tempts us - or better, robs us - of the space and silence needed for relection. A person who cannot put his feet up on a desk and stare out a window, or warm herhands on a cup of tea while thoughts wander, is a slave. Not a slave in the classical sense, but a slave to distraction, to the flash and dazzle of the screen, to the glitter of life that erodes quiet contemplation."

-Rabbi David Wolpe, Sinai Temple, Los Angeles.