Monday, November 24, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness


From right about the time we are born, something peculiar starts to happen: our happiness becomes tied to external cues. Whether it was getting milk when we cried, or toys on our birthdays, it was always something external that was responsible for elevating our moods. As women, I believe this is especially true. Just look at what having a man around can do to us. All it takes is a survey of prior posts on this very blog to see that when a man comes into the picture, Peanut and I suddenly got a lot more excited, well, about everything. Even ourselves.
And with this post, as we are a little over one month shy of a new year, I hope that I can express my wish for the future:

I would like to take charge of my own happiness, and I invite all of you to join in. Ladies of No Man Land, let the internalization of happiness commence.

By taking charge of your happiness you take power away from volatile externalities, whether they be your job, your relationships or your material possessions. At the end of the day (and I don't mean to sound morbid) we can only rely on ourselves, since it is only our own hearts and minds that we have true control over. Why not find a way to be happy everyday - regardless of what life brings?

Now, this doesn't mean external cues aren't great - they absolutely are. But, your day to day happiness shouldn't depend on them. Create passion, hope and fulfillment within yourself, and leave the external happiness cues for icing on your happiness cake.

Ultimately, your happiness should belong to you... Look within and create your fulfillment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks, really beautiful post.