Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rubber Band Theory: Don't Be Afraid of Letting Go


I read a few of John Gray's Mars and Venus books a few years ago. One thing that stuck with me because I had noticed it before in my own experiences was his theory that men are like rubber-bands. When they leave they always come back just like nothing ever happened and no time has gone by. (Providing of course that the woman leaves them alone.) I've been reminded of that theory again in the last two weeks. At least 3 different guys who I had dated in the past but hadn't seen or talked to for months have IM'd and started talking to me within the last week or so for no apparent reason and just took up from where they left off like no time has gone by. The only acknowledgment that they even realized it had been a while was that they were all trying to see if I'm still available or not.

~Candy Lily from MatchDoctor.Com

My recent love interest of a month ended last night because he said he wasn't ready for a serious relationship, even though he thought I was the most amazing girl he has ever met. Although this makes no logical sense to me, I have chosen to let go - to once in my life trust the bigger universe we live in and the plans it has for me. I know what I want in a relationship and so does the universe... so I am surrendering to the flow of life. I quoted this girl above because deciding to let go has also given me a little hope in the rubber band theory... that maybe in the process of letting go I am actually doing myself a favor. If it really is meant to be with this guy, he will bounce back at a time that is more appropriate for him and maybe for me, without having had dated and ended things on messy/bad terms.

It's funny because I posted a few months ago about how 3 out of 4 of my x-boyfriends had recently touch based with me in the most heartfelt of ways, apologizing for whatever wrong they did. This interaction could have easily rekindled a relationship if we were meant to be. The 4th one is married and has a child. So to say that I don't believe in the rubber band theory would be hard -- because I have proof.

Although, a girl can dream a dream of a romantic story where their prince charming leaves a note on their car after a year of not talking (wink wink SJ) and makes an effort to make something happen, a smart woman can't depend on the rubber band theory. Which is why I am back in the dating scene...ready to face the darkness and uncertainty all over again!

And every time I lose hope or start to feel negatively about myself, I will look up to our President as my inspiration, believing that I too will find someone who stands tall and proud and calls me his best friend, rock of the family and love of his life! Feels good to have a President to look up to for once in our lives.

So here's to dating, the rubber band theory, letting go and continuously learning new things about relationships and building successful ones. The cure to LMS doesn't come overnight; it's a process ;)