Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Patience is my #1 virtue

The events in my life the past couple months have led me back again and again to the fact that I must learn how to become patient. I have to learn today, not tomorrow, not later when I am older... but right now, this second. I all of a sudden feel in my bones, that if I don't learn how to get rid of my impatience I might just become an inpatient.

I go through a lot of my days gasping -- for results, for contact with a person that hasn't called, for answers to the future, always waiting.... waiting.... waiting. INSTEAD OF LIVING, ENJOYING & PARTICIPATING.

Recently, I emailed a friend while I was in the car: I'm going NUTSS inside, Google for me HOW to be patient. (Again another example of impatience -- emailing while driving) HELLO, we all know that's not a smart thing to do. So any way, she emailed me back a wikihow article on "How to Be Patient." This was the best article I have read in a long time.

Some key points:

*Become more patient and life becomes more enjoyable: your relationships with other people may become more rewarding, your job may become less stressful, and even the hardest times in your life can become more bearable.

*Being patient with others is a form of respect for them. Nobody is perfect, and if you want to be a good parent, boss, spouse, or friend, it's important to recognize this and to be patient with people.

*Patience can reduce your stress levels and improve your health and longevity, and patience can actually make you happier. Whenever you find yourself growing impatient, think about the positive effects of patience, and remember that impatience only makes things worse.


And last and most importantly....
*It's important to be able to deal with things that bring us impatience, but once you are able to change your attitude so that you are a patient person, you will find that patience can help you endure any tribulation, no matter how long-lasting or difficult. More importantly, perhaps, patience can help you achieve your goals. Almost anything really good in life takes time and dedication, and if you're impatient, you're more likely to give up on relationships, goals, and other things that are important to you. Good things may not always come to those who wait, but most good things that do come don't come right away.

Comical part of the article: "WARNING: Patience should be no excuse for procrastination. While patience can help you be OK with doing nothing, it's important to understand that idleness breeds impatience and stress. "

No comments: