Monday, August 6, 2007

The Ex-Factor

The past few days I've noticed that something has been decidedly missing from my life for the past few months. And Saturday night I remembered what it is: any kind of contact with my ex.

Usually, I could count on bumping into him, or getting an e-mail from him... but I honestly hadn't seen or heard from him since May. Basically, the whole summer passed without any form of communication between us.

For me, this meant a few things: closure, peace of mind, and a new, hot boyfriend.
For him, as I realized Saturday night, this meant one thing: nothing has changed.

Saturday night I bumped into my ex at a party. He was incredibly warm, couldn't take his eyes off me, insisted on getting me a drink, and desperately tried to get out of me what I feared he already knew: that I was seeing someone new.

It was a completely surreal experience. There is such a gap between how we feel - I am so content with us being apart and he still has so many lingering emotions. I didn't know what to say or do... which leads me to my question:

What's the appropriate way to handle an ex-counter?

No comments: