Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Lost (and Found) At Sea With Mr. Neighbor

On Sunday, I was reminded yet again why I love dating Mr. Neighbor so much: he has completely opened me up and made my world bigger and better. After taking a bike ride, we decided to go to the beach for my first surf lesson. Unfortunately, when we got there, there were no waves.

Rather than be dissuaded, Mr. Neighbor quickly came up with a plan B: "Let's kayak!" he proclaimed. And I readily agreed.

You have to understand that for me, agreeing to kayaking on the ocean at a moment's notice is just something that before Mr. Neighbor I just would not do. I am usually the lay on the beach, with SPF 4 slathered on, listening to my ipod, kind of beach person. Not the run in the water and ignore the fact that it is freezing type to jump in a kayak.

But with Mr. Neighbor, I just get inspired to be more adventurous. I love that he brings that out of me.

Sitting in the middle of the ocean in the kayak, with Mr. Neighbor cuddled up behind me, I realized that in that moment, I had everything I needed. Mr. Neighbor, the ocean, the sun, and a cool breeze. He makes me life seem so easy, so fresh, so new. I feel like with him I have lost the old, timid, one toe in the water before jumping in little girl I was, and found this new, spontaneous, dive in head first woman I am instead.

Everyone always asks, if you had to be stranded on a desert island, who would it be with?

I'm starting to realize that Mr. Neighbor would be the perfect choice... He brings a little piece of paradise to my busy city life. Maybe Mr. Neighbor is my island... because I really wouldn't mind being stranded on him ;)

No comments: