Wednesday, August 22, 2007

(Heart)String Theory


So, in physics, there is this concept known as "string theory." String theory holds that all matter and energy are connected by tiny vibrating strings. I've always liked this idea, although it has remained to be proven or completely embraced by the scientific community.

If everything is connected by strings, let's just say last night Mr. Neighbor and I added an additional one between us: one called open communication.

As I was sitting at dinner last night complaining to my two best girlfriends that Mr. Neighbor doesn't call me, I got a text message from him asking me if I wanted to stop by on my way home. When I replied that I would, he text back, "I look forward to kissing you." Super cute right?

When I got to his place, Mr. Neighbor was really happy to see me. And as we sat on the couch catching up, I braced myself and brought up the phone call issue. I told him that it was important to me, in a completely nonthreatening and relaxed way, that he call me more often. And thankfully, he agreed without getting defensive or upset.

And you know what, I instantly felt better and closer to him than ever. We've made plans to go camping this weekend. I'm so happy that before we spend the weekend together, I got my concerns off my chest, rather than remaining passive aggressive about the situation.

Ladies in the end, this much I remember from high school physics and mathematics: The shortest distance between point A and point B is a straight line - in other words, be straight with your man. If you're upset about something, just let him know.

Create the open line of communication which will lead to additional strings connecting you together, from his heart to yours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting,

let's see if something changes...

Anonymous said...

I am so GLAD that you chose to speak to him about the matter rather than try some passive agressive method as some other bloggers have suggested...The key to a succesful relationship is communication!