Monday, August 13, 2007

When Soulships Collide

The night Mr. Neighbor asked me to be his girlfriend, now almost two weeks ago, he compared us to two ships passing in the night... Many of you I´m sure have heard this reference before. And it is true. We could just as easily have missed each other. And yet, we didn´t. We collided. And the impact he has had on my life, in these few short weeks, has been tremendous.

Even here in Mexico, I´ve found myself drawn to my more adventurous inclinations... and all the while I´ve felt Mr. Neighbor´s appreciation of that, even from a distance.

Being away from each other the past week has been a great test. We´ve kept in touch with little updates via email and text. Mr. Neighbor misses me and that is a delicious feeling. I guess the old adage is true, absence does in fact make the heart grow fonder.


Just for culture´s sake, here is the text by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, who first coined the famous phrase - ships passing in the night.

Ships that pass in the night and speak each other in passing;
Only a signal shown and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice; then darkness again and a silence.

-Tales of a Wayside Inn. Part iii. The Theologian’s Tale: Elizabeth. iv.

I´m glad Mr. Neighbor and I found each other and didnt just pass each other by... He may turn out to be just the dock this wandering soulship has been looking for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

o0o0o0o0ooo... mexico getaway with the bf!!! i'm so jealous!!

Anonymous said...

Read the post, they were away this week.

I think it's great you've found such a joyous love, congratulation SJ.