Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Girl Meets Boy. Boy Calls Girl. Girl happy?


At exactly five p.m. on Monday afternoon, as I was sitting at my desk figuring out how to make the next hour and a half of work magically float away, my cell phone lit up with a number I didn't recognize. Just one minute earlier, I had sent my girlfriend a message saying, "I hope he calls me today." Well, Mr. Smile must have picked up on my energy because call he did. Not only that, he gushed about how happy he was to have met me Saturday night, and what a good time he had, etc. He was exactly what I've been looking for, right?


Ladies, I'm so confused. Before he called, all I could do was think about him. On Sunday, I relieved our entire night, thinking about how sexy his raspy voice was, how interesting it was that he likes to take photographs, how much he liked music. And yet, the entire time we were on the phone, I found a million little reason to pick him apart. He doesn't own his own business. He lives too far South. His laugh kind of sucks. A good looking, intelligent, and kind man is calling me, just like I've been hoping for, and after one phone conversation all I can do is tally up his flaws.


When opportunity comes a knocking, why is it that we sometimes find ourselves locking the door?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you don't want to waste your time, when you don't see the ambition there???

Anonymous said...

what does " he lives too far south" mean?

Anonymous said...

oh my god! heaven forbid he doesn't own his own business. Honestly, you are getting WAY to picky here. I don't know how old he is but give the guy a break. You're just looking for reasons not to date him. There is something that's obviously holding you back from opening up and dating.

Anonymous said...

#2 - too far south probably means too far south in L.A.

I think the issue is after dating your pseudo-perfect boyfriend, who I'm assuming owned his own business and lived in the middle of West L.A., your expectation are left really high. You shouldn't enter the dating world with the assumption that you're only allowed to date marriage material guys, this guy seems something in you, probably something you don't see in yourself yet. Dating non-marriage material guys can really open you up to yourself, as long as you are willing to open up to them. He likes you, he sounds cute, he sounds nice, that is an EXCELLENT start. Date him, see what happens, and blog about it!

SexyJelly said...

Thanks for the comments. Honestly, the really helped. I'm going to be more "open" and give this one a proper chance. Baby Z, you are RIGHT on the money.

EntrePeanutButter said...

Does he live 'too far south' alone or in a 2 bdrm apartment with his parents and his 2 siblings?

j/k

In my opinion sometimes I think we analyze too much in terms of what is 'marriage material' and what is not marriage material. Our parents (definitely Sexy Jelly and I's) got married young, stupid, and in love. It worked... just because someone may be 'marriage material' on paper -- doesnt mean they would make a good husband. But that doesnt mean you should go out and date and marry an aspiring screenplay writer either... it just means be open to possibilities. :)

Anonymous said...

EntrePeanutButter,
Funny how that's any LA girl's worst fear....getting involved with an aspiring anything. I myself have dating a string of "actors" and people in the industry and I've told myself that I'm steering clear unless they are on the business side of it.