Thursday, June 21, 2007

I Went On A Blind Date And All I Got Was A Skinned Knee


Well darlings, I never thought I'd identify with this song, but, it is in fact raining men. Last night I went on a blind date with bachelor number 2: The Dentist. I got set up with The Dentist by an acquaintance, who happens to be his cousin. The past week, we've played phone tag and had a few coy conversations, and last night we had our first official date. Now there is nothing objectively wrong with Mr. Dentist: he is good looking enough, is successful (has his own dental practice), is educated, appreciates contemporary art, and had good taste in restaurants. However, I felt absolutely ZERO chemistry. No spark, no butterflies, no nothing.

In any case, after dinner, we decided to take a walk. As we are walking down Abbott Kinney, admiring the great stores and talking about our vacation preferences, distracted by a ruffly men's shirt (I kid you NOT), I tripped in a pot hole and tumbled to the floor. YES. TUMBLED. Even though I, in his words, "bounced back up like a rubber ball" I was in pain. My wrist hurt. My knee was bleeding all over my Diane Von Furstenburg dress and my pride was left behind in the pot hole. I don't remember the last time I actually hurt myself. I felt like I was 9 again after falling off my bike.

And although he tried to make me feel better, by recounting a story about the time he fell flat on his face and twisted his ankle, I didn't sense that he really cared all that much. He didn't take my hand to rub it (even though I was rubbing my own wrist for about 20 minutes) nor did he run into the restaurant to get me a band aid. We got back in the car, shared a few more jokes, at my expense, and that was that.

I don't think I'll be seeing him again. However, this was a very valuable lesson in that it made me realize even more the spark I had with Mr. Smile...

Two dates in one week = very good basis for comparison ;)
And by the way, in response to my post about the Boyz II Men concert, Mr. Smile called me on Tuesday and I invited him. Unfortunately, he has a biz meeting and can't make it so I'm going with a girlfriend... I did however take the plunge and extend the invitation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least you now that you and mr.smile might be a better match than you thought! hope you are okay.

it's funny cause i was once put in a similar situation except i didn't get seriously injured. i was set up on blind date through a friend. He too is smart, funny, and rather good looking..but unfortunately the chemistry was just not there between us.

My little mishap happened at the beginning of the date. I go to meet him at his apt off of san vicente in brentwood and we decide to walk to the sushi restaurant since it was down the block. i was wearing my cute new purple heels (the first time i wear them) and i thought i was looking good. So he shows me around his place, and then we begin our walk to the restaurant. After only crossing the street from his place onto san vicente my heel broke!! it was the most embarassing thing. so we head back inside and lends me his cousins tennis shoes!! ugh it did not look good with the outfit.. but needless to say we didn't fit together anyway!