Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Back To The Future

Last week, my mom sat me down, and brought up the inevitable conversation. "You can only date him if you think you are both willing to get on the road towards marriage." She is, of course, referring to Mr. Neighbor.

Now, I understand where my mother is coming from. I'm 25, we come from a pretty traditional background, and marriage is well, always a lingering concern. But you know, my last relationship was all about, "is he marriageable??" and I all but had a nervous breakdown.
Things with Mr. Neighbor are going exceptionally well... Last night he invited me over to watch a movie at his place. This is the second movie we've attempted to watch and surprisingly, this time we almost got through the entire thing. He even made a joke about marriage, which in my mind led to a big neon sign appearing which said, we have a winner!

As much as I was annoyed by my mother's comment, it did ring true to some extent. I myself wonder if Mr. Neighbor and I have a shot in the future... because if not, I don't know how much long I can let myself fall for him.

Why is it that every time we are happy in the present, we always end up going back to worrying about the future?

No comments: