Friday, April 20, 2007

R Bar


So, tonight, when I realized it was 10 pm and I had officially wasted a perfectly good evening in the library doing nothing, Ms. S and I decided it was time to be rebels and make our first foray into Korea town to visit R Bar.

If you haven't been yet, I highly recommend it. First off, you have to knock and give a password to the door man (who peeks at you ominously and waits for the code word - yo ho ho).

Second, it is very dark and sexy inside and the juke box plays an ecclectic mix of kcrw-type music (i.e. Amy Winehouse). It wasn't overly crowded and the bartenders actually took the time to learn our names.

And it was in our conversation with Mickey, a pretty hot bartender, that we realized sometimes we should have already known: apparently being in law school doesn't always work in your favor.

So we are having a fun conversation with Mickey, when I casually mentioned that we go to school in the area.

Mickey (excitedly): "Oh where, FIDM?"

Me: "Oh no, actually we go to law school."

Mickey: (blank stare) "Oh."

And just like that, Mickey left to go to the other side of the bar. And just then I realized, wow, I should develop an alter ego.

Next time a bartender asks me what I do, just as an experiment, I'm going to be an SMC student training to be a vetrinarian ("because I love animals so much").

Because hey, the last thing you want is to turn off a bartender... at least he can provide enough wine so that no man land doesn't seem so lonely...

No comments: