Friday, April 27, 2007

Revisiting High School....


So, last night, I attended my little brother's school play. He is a senior in high school at my very own stomping grounds. Revisiting campus is always a trip. Walking down that path from the parking lot to the school's drama lab was a walk down memory lane, except that in high school I was a lot less fashionably dressed.

Why is it that we are all so inescapably awkward in high school?

Watching "Ugly Betty" I must say that sometimes I can relate. The funny glasses, (mine too were red-framed... and I thought - in may naivete - that I was SO cute in them), the untamed mane, the raging hormones... all signatures of my high school experience.

And shockingly, despite being almost a decade older, accomplished, and much more glamorous, I find myself somewhat intimidated by the cool kids in my brother's grade. How is that possible?

In any case, I digress. The purpose of this blog is boys, and let's just say that I found myself mesmerized by one in particular during intermission. Tall, charming, good-looking, confident... everything you would ever want in a man. Or I guess I should say boy. Ladies, he was eighteen, and in my brother's class.

So, needless to say that one didn't pan out :)

I guess I was attracted to him because he was essentially the high school golden boy that I never got when I was in high school.

Which leads me to my question:

Will I ever be free of who I was in high school? Or will I forever be trying to fulfill my unsatisfied needs from when I was 17?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha ha that's so true. you try to pretend you've escaped those issues.. but somehow they resurface every now and then. what's gonna happen at the 10yr reunion!!! i'd like to go ahead and say yes one day we will.